Union Pacific Senior Project Engineer Structures Design in Omaha, Nebraska
Efficiently provide professional direction to lead and manage Engineers and Technicians in the design, analysis and preparation of drawings and specifications for construction of structures, drainage systems and facilities essential to the continued safe, economical and efficient operation of the railroad. Review for approval plans and specifications submitted by outside parties proposing construction of facilities on railroad right of way. Develop Company standards for construction of railroad facilities.
- Supervise design, analysis and preparation of all drawings and specifications for construction, replacement or repair of structures and drainage systems - including capacity, industry, accounts recollectable, and commuter rail.
- Provide emergency analysis, design, specifications and drawing preparation on demand to restore bridges and culverts to service in the event of derailments, washouts or other calamities.
- Develop the structural design bid process including the compilation of bid documents, the solicitation of bids and bid analysis, and recommendations for successful bidder for projects.
- Manage and supervise inspections and the analysis of existing bridges and culverts and associated drainage basins in order to determine the load carrying capacity, hydraulic capacity and the hydrologic characteristics of the associated drainage basins to ensure compliance with Company operating standards. Determine whether a structure should be repaired or replaced.
- Physically inspect projects and coordinate with internal customers during design, bidding and construction of the project.
- Coordinate and negotiate with public agencies to meet permit requirements and make recommendations to upper management on construction standards and protocols.
- Review and analyze work of outside parties (Industrial customers, public agencies, other railroad departments, etc.) to ensure proposed structures are safe,and compatible with Railroad standards and procedures.
- Serve as structural engineering consultants to field personnel, contractors and other departments.
- Design and develop safety devices, standards and procedures derived from field visits, safety committees or review of internal processes.
- A Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil Engineering (Structures Preferred)
- Ability to obtain Professional Engineer License
- Ability to manage internal designer workforce
- Ability to manage consultant designer workforce
- Ability to manage standard design projects through the design process
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- A Master of Science Degree in Civil Engineering (Structures Preferred)
- Licensed Professional Engineer
- 3 years railroad experience
- Ability to manage complex design projects through the design process
- Ability to draw basic shapes in CAD
The Engineering team is charged with a crucial role – maintaining 32,000 miles of track to keep America moving. Engineering employees inspect, repair and maintain infrastructure such as track, bridges, facilities and signals. Using the latest tools and technology, the Engineering team provides safe and efficient construction for all facets of the railroad.
Union Pacific is one of America’s premier transportation and logistics companies, linking 23 states in the western two-thirds of the country and serving many of the fastest-growing U.S. cities. Generations of Americans have built successful careers at Union Pacific and in the process, they’ve helped build a nation – delivering lumber for our homes, food for our tables, energy for our power plants and the countless raw materials and finished goods that supply the American way of life.
Location: Omaha, NE
Closing Date: 06/18/2018 at 11:59 PM Central Time
Job Open To: Internal and External Candidates